Showdown of the day:
Louisville completed a two-game midweek sweep of Ohio State with a 10-8 win in Columbus. So. 2B Ryan Wright (3-for-5, 3 2B, 3 RBI) led the Louisville offense, and Jr. RHP Neil Holland picked up his 12th save with two hitless innings of relief. After the game, long-time Ohio State coach Bob Todd announced he will retire at the end of the season.
• Southern Mississippi over Mississippi State, 14-3
• Florida International over Bethune-Cookman, 10-4
Upset of the day:
Minnesota avoided a midweek sweep at Kansas State with a 3-0 win behind five innings of two-hit ball from So. RHP Austin Lubinsky. A two-run homer by So. 1B Nick O'Shea highlighted Minnesota's three-run first. The Gophers improved to 20-26 on the season, while K-State fell to 31-13.
Hitter of the day:
Pittsburgh Jr. 3B Joe Leonard: 2-for-5, 3 R, 2 RBI, 2B, HR in 15-12 win vs. Akron. Leonard broke Pitt's single-season hits record (set by Ben Copeland in 2005). Leonard's 86 hits are the most in the nation.
• South Carolina Jr. OF Whit Merrifield: 3-for-4, 4 R, 2 RBI, 2 HR, 2 SB in 11-6 win vs. Winthrop
• South Carolina So. OF Jackie Bradley Jr.: 2-for-4, 3 R, 4 RBI, 2 HR
• Ohio Jr. OF Robert Maddox III: 4-for-5, 3 R, 5 RBI, 2B, 2 HR in 11-10 loss vs. Eastern Kentucky
Pitcher of the day:
Pepperdine Jr. RHP Kevin Inman: 9 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K in 4-0 win vs. Long Beach State
• Liberty Fr. RHP Cameron Giannini: 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 10 K in 11-1 win vs. Maryland
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog