Showdown of the day:
Jr. 2B/OF Phil Gosselin's second-inning grand slam propelled No. 1 Virginia to a 6-3 win against No. 10 Coastal Carolina, snapping the Chanticleers' 17-game winning streak. Fr. RHP Branden Kline (5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) picked up the win for the Cavaliers, who also got strong relief work from Jr. RHPs Tyler Wilson (3 IP, 1 ER) and Kevin Arico (1 IP, 0 H, 0 R).
• No. 17 Oregon over Oregon State, 9-4, in a nonconference version of the Civil War. The Ducks broke open a 2-0 game with five runs in the fourth, capped by Jr. OF Marcus Piazzisi's two-run triple. The Beavers have lost eight of their last nine.
• UCLA over UC Irvine, 4-1, behind a strong start from Sr. RHP Garett Claypool (7.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER).
• No. 13 Cal State Fullerton over No. 24 San Diego, 13-10. The Titans overcame a 10-9 deficit on Carlos Lopez's ninth-inning grand slam down the right-field line.
• Texas Christian over Baylor, 5-4
• New Mexico over Texas Tech, 16-8
Upset of the day:
New Orleans snapped a nine-game losing streak with a 7-4 win at No. 15 Louisiana State, which has now lost four straight. The Privateers came from behind with four runs over the final two innings, led by So. OF Rodarrick Jones (3-for-4, 3 RBI). The win improved New Orleans to 11-29 on the season.
• Austin Peay State over Vanderbilt, 5-4
Hitter of the day:
Villanova So. OF Matt Szczur: 5-for-5, 4 R, 5 RBI, 2 2B, 3B, HR in 17-10 win vs. Temple. Szczur hit for the cycle and has reached base safely in 34 of 35 games this season. We'll have more on Szczur later today.
• UC Riverside Jr. OF Justin Shults: 5-for-6, 4 R, 4 RBI, 2 2B, 3 HR in 18-10 win vs. Nevada-Las Vegas
• North Carolina Sr. SS Ryan Graepel: walk-off grand slam in the 10th inning to beat High Point, 6-2
Pitcher of the day:
Oklahoma State Jr. LHP Mike Strong: 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 11 K in 10-1 win vs. Texas-Arlington
• Elon Jr. RHP Ken Ferrer: 8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K in 3-1 win vs. Liberty
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog