Showdown of the day
No. 17 Arizona won a midweek rivalry game at No. 1 Arizona State, 4-2. Fr. 2B Robert Refsnyder went 3-for-4 with two RBIs to lead the young Wildcats, and Jr. RHP Daniel Workman (6.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) settled down after ASU's two-run second inning to pick up the win. It was an emergency start for Workman, who hadn't pitched since March 23. He got the call 20 minutes prior to first pitch when scheduled starter Cory Bernard felt pain in his arm while warming up in the bullpen.
• No. 24 Oklahoma over No. 11 Texas Christian, 8-3, giving the Sooners a season sweep over the Horned Frogs for the third straight year. If both teams are competing for a regional hosting spot, Oklahoma's 2-0 record against TCU could loom large.
• Kansas State over Wichita State, 7-4, giving the Wildcats their second straight season sweep of the Shockers. The game drew 7,217 fans, the largest regular-season crowd in the history of Wichita's Eck Stadium.
• Tulane over Southeastern Louisiana, 6-0. Rob Segedin got Tulane off and running with a three-run homer in the first, his ninth long ball of the year.
• Western Kentucky over Kentucky, 24-8, in front of 6,183, the largest crowd ever to attend a WKU home game. The Hilltoppers scored 16 runs in the second inning before Kentucky even recorded an out.
• Texas A&M over Rice, 7-1
• Creighton over Nebraska, 8-5, at Rosenblatt Stadium
Upset of the day
No. 5 UCLA's midseason funk continued in a 16-4 loss to Long Beach State. The Bruins led 4-3 before Long Beach exploded for eight runs in the fifth, highlighted by three-run homers by Joey Terdoslavich and Jordan Casas. UCLA is just 5-6 since starting the season 22-0.
• Campbell over East Carolina, 12-5
• Kent State over Pittsburgh, 16-3
Hitter of the day
Auburn Jr. 1B Hunter Morris: 4-for-5, 3 R, 5 RBI, 2 2B, 2 HR in 16-3 win vs. Troy
• Virginia Commonwealth Jr. 3B Joe Van Meter: 4-for-4, 4 R, 6 RBI, 3 HR in 11-4 win vs. Virginia Military Institute
• Arkansas Jr. OF Brett Eibner: 3-for-4, 3 R, 3 RBI, 2 HR in 9-5 win vs. Oral Roberts
Pitcher of the day
Texas A&M Sr. RHP Clayton Ehlert: 9 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K in 7-1 win vs. Rice
• Duke So. LHP Eric Pfisterer: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K in 4-1 win vs. Liberty
• Mississippi So. LHP Matt Crouse: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K in 7-2 win vs. Southern Mississippi
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog