Showdown of the day:
The Miami-Florida State series has been the most compelling of the premier showdowns this weekend. Miami came from behind to win Friday, and on Saturday the Seminoles trailed 7-3 after seven innings before rallying to win with five runs in the final two frames. Jr. DH/3B Stuart Tapley (3-for-4, 4 RBI) capped the comeback with a two-run double with the bases loaded in the ninth, giving FSU its first walk-off win of the season.
• Florida over Arkansas, 8-2, to even the series. The Gators chased Hogs starter Brett Eibner in the decisive six-run fourth inning.
• Mississippi swept a doubleheader vs. Louisiana State, 11-9 and 9-8. The first game featured the highly anticipated Anthony Ranaudo-Drew Pomeranz pitching matchup, and it was a colossal dud, due in part to fierce winds gusting out to center field. Ranaudo gave up nine runs on nine hits in 1 2/3 innings, while Pomeranz issued nine walks over three innings, allowing five runs (four earned).
• UCLA over Arizona, 6-2, to clinch the series in Tucson
• Stanford over California, 15-12, to clinch the series in Stanford
• Rice over East Carolina, 3-2, to clinch the series in Houston. ECU starter Seth Maness shut out the Owls into the eighth, but Rice slugger Anthony Rendon erased a 2-0 deficit with a three-run homer against closer Seth Simmons in the eighth.
• Connecticut swept a doubleheader vs. Rutgers, 6-3 and 8-7
• Washington State over Oregon State, 12-4, to clinch the series in Pullman. The free-falling beavers have lost seven straight.
• Oklahoma over Texas A&M, 6-5, to even the series
Upset of the day:
Washington erased a 4-3 deficit with three runs in the seventh against So. LHP Mitchell Lambson, and then tacked on three more in the ninth off closer Jordan Swagerty to pull out a 9-4 win at No. 1 Arizona State. A pair of freshmen did the heavy lifting for the Huskies: 3B Jacob Lamb (3-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B) and DH Chase Anselment (2-for-5, R, 3 RBI, HR).
Hitter of the day:
Wofford Sr. 3B Kyle Behrendt hit for the cycle in a 17-9 win vs. UNC Greensboro: 5-for-5, 5 R, 2 RBI, 2B, 3B, HR, 2 SB
• Mississippi So. DH Matt Snyder: 4-for-5, 2 R, 6 RBI, 2 HR in 11-9 win vs. LSU
• Nevada Sr. 1B Shaun Kort: 5-for-5, 4 R, 5 RBI, 2B, 2 HR in 17-6 win vs. Fresno State
Pitcher of the day:
Eastern Michigan So. RHP Kendall Lewis: 11 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K in 1-0 win vs. Western Michigan
• UC Irvine Sr. RHP Christian Bergman: 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, BB, 6 K in 13-0 win vs. UC Davis
• Texas Jr. RHP Cole Green: 9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K in 5-0 win vs. Oklahoma State
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog