Showdown of the day:
No. 3 UCLA evened its series against No. 17 Oregon State with a 3-1 win in 16 innings. So. C Steve Rodriguez went 4-for-8 for UCLA and broke a 1-1 tie with a two-run single in the top of the 16th. So. RHP Trevor Bauer (7.1 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K) gave the Bruins a strong start, and Sr. RHP Garrett Claypool (4.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K) was brilliant in relief to pick up the win.
• Georgia Tech stormed back from an early 5-0 deficit to even its series against Virginia, 9-7
• Miami over Virginia Tech, 9-2
• Vanderbilt over South Carolina, 8-2
• Cal State Fullerton over UC Irvine, 6-3
• Kentucky over alabama, 8-2
• Oregon over Stanford, 9-6, in the first game of a doubleheader, clinching the series for the Ducks
• Stanford over Oregon, 2-1, in the nightcap
• Rice over Tulane, 11-8, evening the series
• Texas over Kansas, 3-1
Upset of the day:
Jr. 1B Cody Hawn had four RBIs to help power Tennessee to a 12-4 win against Florida.
• Auburn over Louisiana State, 11-7
• Pittsburgh over Louisville, 15-5, clinching the series for the Panthers
• Furman over College of Charleston, 8-5, clinching the series for the Paladins
Hitter of the day:
Rutgers Jr. OF Michael Lang: 4-for-6, 4 R, 7 RBI, 3B, 2 HR in 25-5 win vs. Notre Dame
Pitcher of the day:
• Fresno State Jr. RHP Greg Gonzalez: 7 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K in 1-0 win vs. Hawaii. Gonzalez threw a seven-inning no-hitter in the nightcap of a doubleheader sweep against Hawaii. It was the sixth no-hitter in Fresno history, and the first since 1976.
"He had fantastic stuff tonight," Fresno coach MikeBatesole said. "He had three good pitches. His changeup was really good and his curveball was good too. When those two pitches are good, they are really good. Austin Wynns did a great job catching him and keeping the batters on their toes. Gonzalez came in today and was lights out."
• Baylor So. RHP Logan Verrett: 9 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 13 K in 13-1 win vs. Texas A&M
• Santa Clara Sr. RHP Alex Rivers: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K in 3-0 win vs. Pepperdine
• Long Beach State So. RHP Branden Pinder: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K in 11-0 win vs. UC Davis
• Connecticut Jr. LHP Greg Nappo: 9 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K in 4-0 win vs. Villanova
• Valparaiso Jr. RHP Bryce Shafer: 8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 13 K in 4-0 win vs. Youngstown State
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog