Showdown of the day:
South Carolina outlasted Drew Pomeranz, breaking a scoreless tie with five runs in the eighth against the Mississippi bullpen to win 5-0. Sr. RHP Blake Cooper was masterful for the Gamecocks (more on him below).
• Virginia over Virginia Tech, 4-2
• Texas over Texas A&M, 4-3
• Geogia Tech over Clemson, 8-6
• Louisiana State over Alabama, 12-5
• Florida over Kentucky, 10-8
• Miami over North Carolina, 7-5
• Vanderbilt over Auburn, 11-6
• Southeastern Louisiana over Texas State, 10-1
Upset of the day:
Oregon handed UCLA flame-thrower Gerrit Cole his first loss of the year. The visiting Ducks jumped out to a 4-0 lead through 2 1/2 nnings and held on for a 5-4 win against the top-ranked Bruins. So. RHP Scott McGough (4.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K) picked up the win in relief.
• Stanford over Oregon State, 14-6
• Florida Atlantic over Western Kentucky, 10-3
• UC Santa Barbara over Cal State Fullerton, 5-3
• Washington over California, 7-3
Hitter of the day:
East Tennessee State So. OF Matthew Scruggs: 4-for-6, 4 R, 4 RBI, 2B, 3B, 2 HR in 13-10 win vs. Mercer. Scruggs would have hit for the cycle if he had stopped at first after his second home run.
Other notable hitting performances:
• Florida State Jr. OF Tyler Holt: 3-for-4, 4 R, 2 RBI, 2B, 2 HR, SB
• Southern Mississippi So. OF Kameron Brunty: 3-for-4, 2 R, 6 RBI, 2 HR in 16-7 win vs. Marshall
• Stanford Jr. SS Jake Schlander: 3-for-5, 2 R, 6 RBI, HR in 14-6 win vs. Oregon State
• Cal Poly Sr. OF Adam Melker: 3-for-4, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2B, 2 HR in 10-9 loss vs. Cal State Northridge
Pitcher of the day:
South Carolina Sr. RHP Blake Cooper: 9 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K in 5-0 win vs. Mississippi
Other notable pitching performances:
• Texas So. RHP Taylor Jungmann: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 11 K in 4-3 win vs. Texas A&M
• Mississippi Jr. LHP Drew Pomeranz: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 10 K in no-decision vs. South Carolina
• Arizona Fr. RHP Kurt Heyer: 8.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 14 K in 5-3 win vs. Washington State
• Arkansas So. LHP Drew Smyly: 9 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K in 10-2 win vs. Georgia
• Virginia So. LHP Danny Hultzen: 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 10 K in 4-2 win vs. Virginia Tech
• The Citadel Jr. RHP Asher Wojciechowski: 9 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 12 K in 4-2 win vs. Furman
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog