Showdown of the day:
Auburn extended its winning streak to seven games with an 8-6 win over rival Alabama at Riverwalk Stadium, home of the Double-A Montgomery Biscuits. So. SS Casey McElroy (2-for-4, HR, 3 RBI) led the offense for the Tigers, who took a 5-2 lead after three innings and held on for the win despite making three errors.
• Arizona over New Mexico, 11-7, giving the Wildcats a two-game sweep over the Lobos and extending their winning streak to 13. More on Arizona in Weekend Preview later.
• Oral Roberts over Wichita State, 8-1
Upset of the day:
Elon completed a two-game midweek sweep at No. 12 Clemson with a 4-3 win. The Phoenix broke a 3-3 tie with a run in the 10th inning when Ryan Adams hit a two-out double and Seth Canipe singled him home. Elon rebounded nicely from its five-game losing streak, which included a sweep at the hands of The Citadel—the first time Elon had been swept at home since 2005.
Rollins (Fla.) over Ohio State, 3-1. A loss to a Division II team won't help a Buckeye team that plays a very weak nonconference schedule to begin with.
Hitter of the day:
Florida Sr. OF Matt den Dekker: 2-for-3, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB in 13-8 win vs. Florida Gulf Coast, helping the Gators come back from an early 8-1 deficit.
• Indiana Jr. 1B Jerrud Sabourin: 5-for-6, 5 R, 4 RBI, 2 HR in 17-8 win vs. Xavier
• Vanderbilt So. 3B Jason Esposito: 3-for-4, HR, 5 RBI in 18-2 win vs. Wright State
Pitcher of the day:
Virginia Tech Jr. RHP Manny Martir: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R in 10-0 win vs. Liberty
• Zach Gallagher: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER in 8-2 win vs. Long Beach State
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog