Showdown of the day:
No. 8 Texas won its season series against No. 25 Rice with a 5-1 victory in Austin. The Longhorns broke the game open with a four-run sixth inning, and five Texas pitchers limited the Owls to two hits in the game. Closer Chance Ruffin (3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K) picked up the win in relief.
Upset of the day:
Central Florida toppled No. 15 Miami, 6-3, in Coral Gables. The last time these two teams met, on March 9 in Orlando, the Hurricanes cruised to a 19-2 rout. UCF was much better on the mound this time, as five Knights pitchers held the 'Canes to three runs on eight hits.
Other notable upsets:
• Elon over No. 12 Clemson, 15-10, snapping Clemson's 18-game home winning streak
• Pacific over No. 19 Stanford, 9-4
• Northwestern State over No. 23 Texas A&M, 4-2
• Loyola Marymount over Cal State Fullerton, 4-2
Hitter of the day:
Mississippi Sr. 3B Zach Miller: 4-for-5, 2 2B, 5 RBI in 11-6 win vs. Southern Miss
• Georgia Tech Jr. SS Derek Dietrich: 4-for-5, 4 RBI in a 15-8 win vs. Mercer
Pitcher of the day:
UCLA Sr. RHP Garrett Claypool: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K in a 7-1 win vs. UC Santa Barbara, keeping the Bruins undefeated at 17-0.
• Coastal Carolina So. RHP Anthony Meo: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K vs. The Citadel.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog