Showdown of the day:
No. 13 Arkansas beat No. 7 Louisiana State 6-3 behind seven strong innings from Sr. RHP Mike Bolsinger, plus two home runs and four RBIs from Jr. OF Brett Eibner. LSU starter Austin Ross was true to his M.O., holding Arkansas scoreless in five of his six innings, but allowing four runs in the fourth. He's got to find a way to eliminate the big innings. At least this week the Tigers did not have to waste their bullpen on Friday, so they've got a chance to bounce back and win this series. But it won't be easy; Arkansas has the pitching edge today with So. LHP Drew Smyly taking the mound against LSU So. RHP Joey Bourgeois.
• No. 5 Florida State over No. 24 North Carolina, 4-3 (check the BA Twitter feed for more on this one; the Tar Heels wasted a brilliant start by Matt Harvey and gave this game away in the final two innings)
• Alabama over No. 19 Vanderbilt, 4-1
• No. 21 Mississippi over No. 22 Kentucky, 9-0
• San Diego over No. 14 Rice, 6-4
Upset of the day:
Maryland stunned No. 3 Georgia Tech and ace Deck McGuire, scoring three runs in the first and holding on for a 5-2 victory behind a stellar day by Jr. RHP Brett Harman (8 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) and two homers by Sr. 1B/RHP Dan Gentzler, who also notched the save. As one scout who was on hand said in a text message: "I'm not sure this happens in the (former Maryland coach Terry) Rupp era." The Terrapins aren't overly talented, but first-year coach Erik Bakich is doing a great job getting them to believe in themselves.
• Brigham Young over No. 4 Texas Christian, 5-4 (second game of doubleheader after TCU won first game)
• Monmouth over No. 20 East Carolina, 11-9
Hitter of the day:
Cal State Fullerton Jr. SS Christian Colon: 4-for-5, 3 HR, 5 RBI in 9-7 win vs. Washington
Pitcher of the day:
Florida Gulf Coast Jr. LHP Chris Sale: 8 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 14 K in 4-2 win vs. Stetson
Other notable pitching performances:
• Virginia So. LHP Danny Hultzen: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 12 K in 7-1 win vs. Boston College
• Arizona State Jr. RHP Seth Blair: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K in 10-1 win vs. Houston
• North Carolina Jr. RHP Matt Harvey: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 11 K; no decision in 4-3 loss vs. Florida State
• Texas Christian Fr. LHP Matt Purke: 7 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K in 11-3 win vs. Brigham Young
• Clemson Jr. LHP Casey Harman: 7.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K in 3-0 win vs. Virginia Tech
• Miami Jr. LHP Chris Hernandez: 9 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K in 3-1 win vs. Duke
• Mississippi Jr. LHP Drew Pomeranz: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K in 9-0 win vs. Kentucky
• UC Irvine Sr. LHP Daniel Bibona: 8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K in 6-4 win vs. Gonzaga
• Texas A&M Jr. RHP Barret Loux: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K in 6-3 win vs. Texas Tech
• Oklahoma State Jr. LHP Tyler Lyons: 8 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K in 8-2 win vs. Missouri State
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog