Earlier I posted a look at teams that won automatic bids on Saturday, as well as my final prediction for regional hosts. America East favorite Binghamton also punched its ticket late Saturday night with a blowout win against Albany to avoid an if-necessary game Sunday. Wichita State also reached regionals for the eighth straight year with a 4-2 win over Creighton in the Missouri Valley Conference finals. Here’s a sneak peek at what’s left to be decided Sunday:
• Virginia plays Florida State for the ACC championship.
• The Atlantic Sun title game between Jacksonville and Lipscomb was suspended in the second inning Saturday with the Bisons leading 1-0. Play will resume at 10 a.m.
• Texas A&M topped Texas Tech 11-4 Saturday night, sending Missouri to the Big 12 title game against Texas via tiebreakers.
• Louisville faces Connecticut for the Big East championship. That’s a big one for bubble teams to watch, as Louisville will get an at-large bid if it loses, but UConn likely will not (though it has an outside shot).
• Rice faces Southern Mississippi for the Conference USA title. The Golden Eagles will be very much on the bubble if they lose—they finished the regular season poorly, losing four straight conference series, and they are just 4-8 against the top 50 in the RPI. Fellow CUSA bubble team Tulane won its final six conference series, but isn’t much better against the top 50 (5-7). Should Rice win Sunday, will USM’s deep CUSA tourney run outweigh Tulane’s superior body of work? It’s hard to say, but I’m not sure there are enough bids for both teams to get in. That means a Southern Miss win Sunday would be very bad news for the Green Wave.
• Illinois-Chicago blanked Wright State 4-0 on Saturday to force a decisive game Sunday. That one’s a toss-up; Wright State has won four of the seven meetings between the two teams so far this year.
• Louisiana State won back-to-back games Saturday against Georgia to earn a trip to the SEC title game against Vanderbilt. The Commodores have secured an at-large bid if they lose, but I’m sure they’d love to take the SEC’s automatic bid. You’ve got to like their chances: Vandy has played just three games, while LSU has had to play five games by fighting through the loser’s bracket.
• The top two seeds will square off in the SoCon finals, as No. 1 Elon faces No. 2 Georgia Southern. Both teams should get bids regardless, but there likely aren’t enough at-large bids out there for Western Carolina to snatch a third berth from the SoCon.
• Louisiana-Monroe held Western Kentucky’s potent offense to two runs Saturday to earn a trip to the Sun Belt finals against Middle Tennessee State. The Hilltoppers must root hard for the favored Blue Raiders, as a ULM victory is likely to squeeze WKU out of regionals. Western Kentucky might be on the bubble even if MTSU wins, as the ‘Toppers are just 1-6 against top 50 RPI teams.
• Alcorn State faces top-seeded Southern for the SWAC championship.
• Three teams remain alive in the WAC tournament, where New Mexico beat San Jose State 10-9 in the winner’s bracket game. San Jose State will face Fresno State in an elimination game at 6 p.m. ET. New Mexico will faces the winner of that game for all the marbles. Does Fresno State have another magical run in it? We’ll soon find out. The WAC figures to be a one-bid league, as Hawaii has slipped to the wrong side of the bubble. San Jose State has had a strong season, but the Spartans rank 76th in the RPI and are just 0-2 against top 50 RPI teams. They need to win the automatic bid to get in.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog