Tuesday’s schedule was chock full of the normal quality matchups, and five top 25 teams played extra-inning games. A quick roundup:
• No. 1 Miami was pushed to 11 innings by frisky Florida Gulf Coast before outfielder Dave DiNatale hit a walk-off two-run homer.
• No. 7 UC Irvine blew a 5-0 lead against UCLA but scored the winning run in the 10th inning in typical Anteater fashion: with an Ollie Linton walk, a Ben Orloff sacrifice bunt and a Jeff Cusick RBI single.
• No. 17 Kentucky beat instate-rival Louisville 7-6 on Keenan Wiley’s walk-off homer to lead off the 12th. Wiley went 4-for-6 out of the No. 9 hole, exemplifying the kind of production the Wildcats have gotten all year from up and down their lineup.
• Anthony Vasquez doubled and scored in the 11th to give Southern California a 5-4 win against No. 16 Cal State Fullerton.
• Sean Stuyverson’s walk-off solo homer in the 10th gave No. 18 Mississippi a 6-5 win over South Alabama.
In addition to USC’s upset, a few other ranked teams went down Tuesday. No. 4 North Carolina fell 2-0 against Elon despite a fine outing by freshman righthander Patrick Johnson (5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 7 K). No. 20 Long Beach State dropped a 7-3 decision against Loyola Marymount to finish its 10-game road trip with a 1-9 mark. No. 14 Georgia’s bats were shut down in a 5-1 loss to Winthrop. And North Carolina State cruised to a 12-5 win against No. 22 UNC Wilmington.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog