Stories Making Headlines Around the Minors . . .
• Triple-A Colorado Springs senior vice president Rai Henniger was in critical condition late Saturday after an explosion while he was preparing a fireworks display for an afternoon game. According to team officials and the Colorado Springs Fire Department, Henniger was behind the scoreboard around 3 p.m., preparing the small fireworks display that is launched when home runs are hit or the team wins. Employees heard an explosion and found Henniger with severe injuries.
• After getting approval by the local school board on a land swap, the Charlotte City Council will provide the decisive vote on a project that would include a new stadium in uptown Charlotte.
• Ballpark negotiations are also heating up in Reno. The Washoe County Board of Commissioners will discuss Tuesday a recommendation to enter into a pre-development and finance agreement with an investment group to build a baseball stadium.
• As expected, Roger Clemens will make his first minor league start with high Class A Tampa on Friday. No details yet on where he goes next, but if all goes well his next start will likely come with Double-A Trenton.
• Dave Dombrowski pays a visit to Fifth Third Field, keeping an eye on several pitching prospects.
• The Devil Rays will host the Rangers in a series at Disney beginning Tuesday with mixed reports on just how many fans will show up. Devil Rays owner Stuart Sternberg said low turnout would be his “first significant disappointment” with the team.
• After his debacle with the Diamondbacks, Wally Backman looks to re-start his managing career in the independent South Coast League.
• Ballpark project on the docket and in the planning stages in Fort Collins, Colo. A stadium could be ready to host a Rookie-level or indy team in 2009.
• Round Rock players find a home away from home with host families.
Comments will be monitored prior to being added to the site. Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be rejected. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed.
We have chosen to open up commenting to everyone, so comment away! We want to hear from each and every one of you! Leave a comment.
About This Blog
Syndicate This Blog
Search This Blog